Romeo & Juliet - Why Leonardo DiCaprio has ruined theatre

Chesapeake Shakespeare Company -The Ruins in Ellicott City, MD
June 17, 2012

Brad - A
Chelsea - C-

Did you know Shakespeare wrote this really obscure play about a love story called Romeo and Juliet? No, Taylor Swift did not originate Juliet's role, although if you think about it that would be some type casting. All of this to say, Brad and I drive up to Ellicott City (one of our local hangs) and saw an outdoor production of Romeo and Juliet at the Ruins at PFI Historic Park. It was actually a pretty neat venue. We decided to do this on a whim (like many of our plays), hopped in the car and booked it about an hour away. With my only requirement being that we get Starbucks.



 We ended up at the wrong place -thank you Google! - and when we finally found it were about 5 minutes into the show. We told the ticket woman about our frustration and she gave Brad a free beer ticket! I mean that is kindness! Here is the venue and Brad with his beer!







During intermission they had little kids do a ribbon pole. I suppose this is a kids activity from Shakespearean times but it does not look fun at all. It is like kid architecture.


But, it was fun. I am not going to give a synopsis of the play because if you haven't heard of this you really shouldn't be reading this blog. But in all, I would say it was a bit weak. First of all, I feel for anyone walking in Leo DiCaprio's beautiful, square jaw, footsteps. I mean, no Romeo compares to him. Also, it is the most ridiculous story. Juliet is THIRTEEN!!! And Romeo broke up with his lady friend the day before, meets and marries Juliet in like 2 days, and then is dead. It really is hard to just gush over this story because it is so absurd. I found this and think it sums it up perfectly:


But, it was a nice night and a fun venue. So, Shakespeare you get a pass this time and Brad hasn't seen the Leo movie version so I am excited that I now have a reason to force lady movies on him!

Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment